For homeowners in Northern Virginia whose kitchen cabinets look old or outdated, the professional painters at All American Painting Plus have a fix that doesn’t call for expensive replacement cabinets, doors and hardware and is both beautiful and affordable. We’ll transform your kitchen and its cabinets into a fresh, exciting, space with a professional cabinet painting project.
Paint is the fastest, most cost-effective method to change the look and feel of a space. Updated kitchen cabinets are prime examples of one of the most effective ways to do that. And while you are giving your cabinets a new color, you might want to consider updating that hardware from the last century as well.
Our award-winning team of painters has been restoring and updating kitchen cabinets for homeowners throughout Arlington, Springfield, Dulles, Reston and all over the Northern Virginia area. These projects take 2 to 3 days to complete due to the amount of surface preparation required to get professional results. But hey, to paint kitchen cabinets typically costs about one third of replacing them. As the photos above show, it’s worth the wait.
Bringing New Life to Kitchen Cabinets
Even the best paint available needs a clean surface that will allow it to adhere. Can you think of another painted surface in your home that gets as much handling or exposure to cooking vapors as your kitchen cabinet door? Kitchen cabinets lead a tough life and that’s why the secret to a professional finish is detailed preparation of the surface before the painting process begins.
Let’s walk through how the professionals at All American Painting Plus approach this interior painting project:
- As we do with every residential painting project, our first step is to protect the customer’s property. Countertops, backsplash, and appliances are covered in drop cloths to ensure no damage from paint drips.
- All doors and drawers are removed from the cabinets and boxes. Hardware, including hinges, are removed, tagged and stored.
- All surfaces then receive a good scrubbing using a household detergent to remove grease and residue.
- When the cabinets are dry, they receive a careful inspection. Often there will be nail holes or seams in the wood that need caulk or wood filler to repair. Also, if you are updating the hardware, existing screw holes will be filled, and new holes drilled to accommodate the updated pulls and handles.
- After cleaning and repairing flaws, all surfaces will receive a sanding to improve adhesive qualities.
- Next comes the primer. Using brush and roller, all surfaces will receive this base paint that helps the finish coat to stick to the cabinets.
- When the primer dries, it’s time to apply the finish coat. Paint selection is important. You want something that dries with a hard, washable, finish. Typically, that means a glossy or semi-gloss finish. For the best results, we only use paints that are specifically designed for woodwork and cabinetry. These dry quickly and have rock hard finishes that won’t stain when the homemade spaghetti sauce bubbles over and splatters it.
- After the paint dries, all hardware is installed and the doors and drawers are placed back in the cabinets. It’s then that we hear exclamations of, “Oh wow!” and “They look great!” coming from the customer.
While we are probably best known for our work as house painters and our commercial painting projects, All American Painting Plus offers much more. We have a staff of highly qualified craftsmen that can tackle just about any home improvement project you might have. Kitchen cabinets just happen to be a specialty for us.
So, if your design requires enamel paint, oil based paint or even spray paint our expert team can help to ensure a smooth finish every time.
If it’s time for a new look in your Northern Virginia kitchen, give us a call today and explore the possibilities!